ORCHID CULTIVATION AND SUPPLY
Michael advises private individuals and businesses on every aspect of breeding and growing all types of orchids He takes on commissions covering:
- Cultivation techniques for all main orchid genera
- Guidance on appropriate growing conditions
- Packaging of orchid plants for commercial sales
- Marketing and sales strategies
Recent consultancy projects: the Netherlands, Italy, Malawi, South Africa, Angola and Zambia, Iran, Kenya, France and UK.
GREENHOUSE DESIGN AND BUILD
Michael offers consultation on the planning and construction of greenhouses, which offer the most appropriate growing conditions for the particular orchid genera which clients wish to cultivate, both for large commercial clients and smaller specialist hobbyist/collectors.
Michael also undertakes commissions to design landscaping projects, which use orchids as well as other plants. Use of orchids (both epiphytic (i.e. growing them on trees) and terrestrial) in landscaping has become extremely popular in tropical and sub-tropical climates.
Recent landscaping projects: Sao Tome, the Maldives, Mozambique, Zambia, Angola and South Africa and Spain and Majorca.
AND CORPORATE FLOWERS
Michael has implemented internal designs and landscaping planting plans in hotels, restaurants and spas around the world. Using orchids as opposed to cut flowers offers considerable cost savings.
Specialist growers around the world have commissioned Michael to breed orchid hybrids exclusively for their businesses. Particularly successful commissions have involved the following genera: Disa, Cymbidium, Phalaenopsis, Paphiopedilum, Ansellia and Cattleya. A number of clients have also named specific orchids for sponsorship or fund raising purposes.
Current customers in: Italy, Japan, China, Zambia, USA and New Zealand. Disas will soon be available as individual plants and also in flask for international shipping. Click here to register your interest.
Michael is one of the most well-travelled orchid adjudicators. He has been instrumental in promoting “fragrance” judging into the orchid-judging scene. Michael has been a judge in:
- The United States, where he joined the American Orchid Society’s judging system in New York, later transferring to the West Palm Beach judging Center based in Miami, where he is currently a Senior Accredited Judge
- South Africa, where is currently an accredited judge
- Japan, where he was a judge with the Japan Orchid Grower’s Association and judged at most of the Tokyo Dome Shows since its inception
- The United Kingdom, Michael was previously on the Judging Committee of the Royal Horticultural Society. He still attends judging meetings in the UK, whenever possible
LECTURING AND GUEST SPEAKING
Michael Tibbs is a regular guest speaker at orchid conferences and societies and has lectured around the world on all subjects orchidaceous.
Michael has delivered papers at several World Orchid Conferences, and recently chaired a scientific session at the 15th European Orchid Congress hosted by the Hungarian Orchid Society in Budapest in April 2012.
Michael is always happy to discuss any speaking opportunities.
DEVELOPMENT AND PROCUREMENT OF NEW PLANTS
Michael is a breeder of many different plant groups for the Pot Plant and Cut Flower industry and is well placed to advise and search out new products for corporate clients and markets around the world. Michael is able to offer an entire package which includes consultation on;
- Sourcing and even breeding new plants
- Offering cultural advice; guiding growers with on-site help to manuals in printed and electronic formats, writing cultivation protocols
- Packing and packaging
- Shipping and logistics
- Sourcing end users; introduction to buyers and corporate clients and end users
- Marketing and merchandising
GIN AND JUNIPERUS COMMUNIS
Michael has advised several clients on the productions of Juniperus for juniper berries for the production on new artisan gins in the UK, Europe and Africa. Having several labels behind him he would be happy to advise on any new project.
Feel free to get in touch to make an enquiry