Michael and his orchids have received awards worldwide. Highlights include:
- Winning Grand Champion Orchid and Most Fragrant Orchid in the same year at the Greater New York orchid show when the exhibition was still held at the Winter Garden.
- His plants have been awarded several First Class Certificates (FCC), Awards of Merit (AM) and High Class Certificates (HCC) from the RHS, AOS and SAOC and several Bronze and Silver Medals in Japan.
- Award of Cultural Excellence for a plant of Bulbophyllum lobbii ‘Noddy’ CCE/RHS, which he grew from a two bulb plant into a metre square wooden basket and showed it to the Orchid Committee at the RHS with over 150 flowers. Sophronitella violacea ‘Michael’ CCE/RHS
- Receiving in excess of 40 awards from the Royal Horticultural Society for plants grown by himself.
- His gift, for which he is most grateful, of Honorary Life Membership of the Natal Orchid Society in South Africa, a society that he joined as a young student more than thirty years ago.
- Being awarded a Gold Medal at the 21st World Orchid Conference for the Best Educational Exhibit and a Gold Medal for Reserve Champion Exhibit at the same show.
- Winning BEST PHALAENOPSIS and a Gold Medal at the 21st World Orchid Conference against strong opposition from Taiwan exhibitors for Phalaenopsis Formosa Cranberry ‘Michael’
- Having three new intergeneric Hybrids named for him by the RHS; namely Michaelara, Tibbsara and Michaeltibbsara
Michael is also always delighted to learn of awards given to others who own plants which he has bred and they have grown to perfection.
Notable achievements include:
- SAOC Orchid of the Year Phragmipedium Bouley Bay ‘Paardeberg Orange’ AM/SAOC
- SAOC Orchid Species of the Year Vanda denisoniana ‘Exotic Sunshine’ AM/SAOC
Orchids named after Michael Tibbs include:
- Paphiopedilum Michael Tibbs (armeniacum x philippinense) Yamato – Noen Fumimasa Sugiyama
- Phalaenopsis Michael Tibbs (equestris x Tropican Lady) Rage Orchid Nursery Carmen Coll. This was the first hybrid raised and bred to be awarded the Pioneer Medal in South Africa.
- Anguloa Michael Tibbs (Rolfei x hohenlohii) Dr Henry Oakeley
- Christieara Michael Tibbs (Ascda. Peggy Foo x Aerides lawrenceae) RF Orchids
- Eulophia Michael Tibbs (guineensis x speciosa) Paphanatics unLimited
- Disa Michael Tibbs (Unimeyer x Unifoam) Prof & Mrs Syd Cywes
All of the above hybrids have received Awards of Merit around the world with Christieara Michael Tibbs receiving a First Class Certificate from the AOS. Michael is grateful to his friends who have honoured him by naming orchid hybrids after him.